#1 2015-11-11 23:50:00

Borithil

A Ghost Process, "Already running", and Unkillable.

It's happened before, and the only work around i've found is restarting.

This time I used the Alt + 1 Shortcut to see the stats of a player, the interface showed up but displayed white space, after waiting 15 seconds or so I closed the small interface and tried to open it again with the shortcut to no avail. I then checked the application via the system trey and it seemed it had crashed; it displayed a white space where all the text would be and would persist indefinitely.

Here is a screenshot of my attempt to fix it.

That's a 'screenshot' from my previous encounter, this time I did almost the same but when I ended the process it didn't say access denied the first few times, Process Explorer [and Task Manager] instead acted as if it did it's job. The problem is it still showed the program running giving me the option to kill process again, so I tried again, repeating this process a few times until I arrived at the "access denied" point.

P.S. When it was at the point where it was letting me kill the process but not erroring me out; in the bottom half of Process Explorer where it shows "Thread," and "Process" it actually showed things there, but afterwards it only showed "Access Denied" there.

First of all I guess this is a Bug Report, but I also wanted feedback such as what could I do as a user when something like this happens aside from restarting? As when restarting it is essentially terminating the process, surely I could somehow simulate this without actually restarting/logging off.

#2 2015-11-12 08:21:44

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: A Ghost Process, "Already running", and Unkillable.

It seems that it might be related to a driver problem.
The current live version of alt1 (1.1.2) checks if a process with the same name is running already, this is a bad way to do it and is fixed in the 1.2 beta. It should at least ignore the ghost process and do a clean start.

Board footer