#1 2015-02-07 22:06:15

Ganymede

Sync DgKey map between players

I love using DgKey, but one thing I think could improve it greatly is, if in a party with other people also using DgKey, your own map could be updated when they update theirs, and vice versa. For example, if I start going south out of the base room, I'll mark all the doors along my way on the map. But every door that someone else encounters remains a question mark. Obviously that isn't a *huge* deal, since as long as at least one person knows what the doors are then it should be fine. But it would still be great if I knew the doors that I haven't seen, and for my map to get updated whenever someone else updates theirs. It would also be awesome if my map contained the location of other people's gatestones. Maybe by having the gatestone symbol with that user's color triangle marker on top of it? That might conflict with some things though, I don't know, of course.

And then there's obviously the issue from the technical side of things. I suppose one user would have to act as the "host," and he would give out his IP address to the other 4 people in the party, and they could all type in the host's IP to some field on DgKey. Then whenever a user in the dungeon updates their map, it sends a copy of that map to the host, who then sends it to everyone else, and updates all the maps to be the one that was sent. And rather than have the new map sent replace your existing one, just use it to update it. That is to say, only use the newest map to fill in undiscovered area on my own map, and keep information I have on my map that they haven't discovered yet. I'll get their door key and keystone locations updated onto my map, while keeping my own. And next time I open the RS map, or add a keystone/door key location, I'll update my own DgKey map, while not overwriting other people's keystone/door key locations, and send that version out to the host, who then sends it to the other players as well. And combine each update with Unix Epoch timestamp to know which is the most up to date. I think this would be an amazing update.

There are obviously a few issues, namely having to give out your IP address, which could be a large security risk. You'd only really be able to do it with people you trust quite a lot, and if that's the case you might all be in a Skype call together while DGing anyway. I also imagine this would be a lot of difficult work to implement, and wouldn't be a short-term thing at all. And it would really only benefit hardcore DGers, and I don't know if I even count myself among them. But It would be an invaluable asset to those who have close groups of friends they DG with, I bet.

Sorry for the long-winded post, and feel free to ask for clarification on anything I didn't explain well. I have no idea how hard this would be to actualize, and know it will probably be met with a resounding "no," but man would it be cool to have your map get updated with information without having to add it yourself or open the RS map every time yourself.

Thank's for reading.

Last edited by Ganymede (2015-02-07 22:07:57)

#2 2015-02-07 22:44:38

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: Sync DgKey map between players

I will have to disappoint you with the fact that i will not by coding this feature, the fact is this feature already exists wink

All you have to do to connect is click the globe icon after setting your party, this will connect you to the server and everyone with the same first player in the party list will be linked together. The server acts as a host so there is no way for anyone to get your ip. All keys are kept in sync even when two people are changing them at the same time.
There is also gatestone support as well but i don't really like how it looks and i'm open to suggestions. You can add your gatestones after clicking your name by pressing 1 (or 2 for 2nd gate). You can set the group gate with 3.

DgKey has a lot of features, there's more (slightly dated) info here http://runeapps.org/dgkey

#3 2015-02-07 22:50:40

Ganymede

Re: Sync DgKey map between players

Well shit. I guess I never noticed that icon haha. Excellent news though! Thank you haha.

Board footer