#1 2017-07-14 16:14:14

Duradel

Second instance (latest version) on startup

Hi there

I've been using Alt1 for some time now, and I succeeded to make 2 instances of Alt1 run when I startup my computer (I play 2 accounts almost all of the time).
I did this by putting a shortcut to Alt1 in User/appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Startup.

This works fine, but there's one downside; it seems that it does not use the latest version when I do this. My first instance will run the latest version, but the second instance is not up to date.
Am I doing anything wrong? Maybe I'm not referring to the correct location with the shortcut? (I'm using: User\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\Update.exe --processStart "Runeapps.Alt1.exe").

If anyone knows a solution, help is much appreciated!

#2 2017-07-14 18:37:17

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: Second instance (latest version) on startup

That should work i think, you should be able to just copy the shortcut that alt1 makes in your start menu. Your command has the wrong start tho. it should be "C:\Users\[username]\AppData" i don't know if you edited that out on purpose.

Internally Alt1 uses the registry and updates it to the new executable with every update. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RuneApps Alt1)

#3 2017-07-14 21:28:29

Duradel

Hi Skillbert

Strange, I thought it would do that too, but I had a version 1.4.5 on first instance and second instance was 1.4.3. I noticed this because I had the clue bug on one client whereas I didn't on the other client. I did edit that out on purpose (admittedly, I too lazy to type out full and too lazy to copy-paste if that makes sense).

I'll monitor if it happens on next update too. Thanks for your reply.

#4 2017-07-14 21:31:45

Duradel

Oh, by the way, the strangest part was: in the interface it said it was version 1.4.3, but when I tried the update, it said I had the latest version. When I closed the instance and reopened it, it opened the updated version though. Weird ay?

#5 2017-07-14 22:10:44

Skillbert
Administrator

You got some interesting mixed version stuff going on xd. Don't worry none of it can mess up your installation, it's just a very weird edge case. The update module is basically isolated from the rest and only keeps track of the version of the total installation. There can be multiple installation folders with different versions at the same time. The Alt1 menus show the version of what you're actually running. The shortcut you have in your first post is basically telling the update module to start the latest version.
When you do an update it will ask you if you want to restart. If you ignore this you will basically end up in the same situation where you're running an older version while the installation is up to date. In your case you'll have to restart the second one manually if you you want the new version immediately.

#6 2017-07-14 22:32:34

Duradel

Hmmm. I always let it restart though. Maybe it did not end both instances? I'm not sure, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it now. Thanks again for your help. Experimenting with that activation phrase thing now, seems to work nice. Can't make it to work on everything though ('Use Magic notepaper' works whereas 'Draw power Vecna skull' doesn't). No big deal tho, your app is truly amazing.

#7 2017-07-15 19:46:07

Duradel

Weird, after a restart it is running 1.4.3 again... When I check C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit, there's still 2 folders, one for 1.4.3 and one for 1.4.5. If I make the shortcut go to within the 1.4.5 folder, the problem will occur next update, I'm guessing?

Also noticed in the properties of the shortcut that it 'starts in' C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\app-1.4.3. Should I change this? Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/mYzE0k2.png

Thanks!

#8 2017-07-15 20:49:08

Skillbert
Administrator

I think the "starts in" part is fine as the actual url is absolute so it ignores the relative base. I think the built-in runonstart broke as you started 1.4.3 last so it tries to start 1.4.3 on startup. It should be fixed it you click the run on start checkbox twice in the new version (settings>other).

#9 2017-07-15 20:52:55

Duradel

Ooo, weird, that was toggled off (whereas it still started on every boot). Toggled it on and tried pasting a new shortcut, will see if it's resolved next update/reboot I guess. Thanks for your help!

Board footer