#1 2018-12-12 21:03:12

Triforc4Link

[Request] Translator that Reads text from Screen Capture

The app can read the text from the screen; very similar fashion to afkwarden. Uses google translate for the message as a default. Other sites exist as optional so people can set preference. Would be activated by pressing `alt+1` on the timestamp in the chatbox; or the other way could be when the app is open, it will ask to press `alt+1` on the message. The third method could be to grab the chat at a said interval, (much like afkwarden) and when clicked on, it will translate the text. The last method I can think of is to take a snip of the screen like `select area` and have it translate that piece. Adding onto that, have an option to set it to a reoccurring interval, so players don't have to keep repeating the step. Since google translate reads the text, the language source is auto-detected, unless preference selections are available. If multiple sites are used to translate the text, include them alongside the user's preference.

It's an idea I've wondered about as to why it's not in alt1 yet.

#2 2018-12-12 23:28:37

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: [Request] Translator that Reads text from Screen Capture

A similar idea came up before and i kind of dismissed it back then, but i think there is a way that this might work.

An app that translates everything would be very complicated both for me to write and for the user. However i could relatively simply make an app that helps you out when you just don't completely understand that one sentence. It would simply translate whatever you press alt+1 over and display the outcome in the app. I could maybe in the future expand on that if many people use it.

Last time i checked tho google didn't offer any easy way for other programs to use their translation engine so i'll have to figure that out.

#3 2018-12-12 23:38:17

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: [Request] Translator that Reads text from Screen Capture

I looked up the google translation api and it actually costs a lot more than i expected and doesn't come with a free tier. Right now it costs about 0.1 cent per translated sentence.

Board footer