#1 2015-07-07 07:40:18

Ganymede

Dungeoneering critical path indicator

I think a cool feature for DGkey would be an indicator denoting whether or not a door is on the critical path or not. I'm not hugely into being super efficient about DGing, but apparently determining whether a door is critical or not is apparently important to some people.

There are a number of ways of determining this without using guide mode, but a way I believe it would be possible for DGkey to determine would be reading the xp drops that appear upon opening them. Skill doors on the critical path are at minimum 9 levels lower than the level of the player with the highest level in that skill, and at maximum are the level held by the highest leveled player. that is to say, if at least 1 player on the team is Maxed, all skill doors on the critical path will require levels 90-99. Xp gained upon opening skill doors is (<level of that door> * 5 + 10). So again, assuming at least 1 player is maxed, skill doors on the critical path will always drop between 460-505 xp.

DGkey can already grab all the levels of everyone in the party, so making another behind-the-scenes column that holds the highest level in each skill, and determines the xp that would drop from skill doors on that path seems easy enough.

((skill level - 9) * 5 + 10) <= critical value <= (skill level * 5 + 10)   seems right.

The only issues I can see would be things like factoring bonus xp, and I don't know whether the Scroll of Daemonheim (http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Scroll_of_Daemonheim) applies to skill doors, but I don't think it does. The last issue, and probably the biggest, is determining which skill is actually getting the xp. The only way I can think of, without having an xp tracker open for every skill there is a skill door for, is to detect when that gold circle at the top of the screen with the skill icon in the middle pops up. Then look at what the highest level in the party for that skill is, and see if you gained xp that would fall in the critical value range for that skill right as the gold circle icon popped up. I don't know how reasonable that is though. Combined with the fact that if you're 99 in that skill and don't have a higher xp target set, you don't get that circle icon anyway. So I'm not sure how to detect which skill it is if that is the case.

One option to get around that is to just use the 460-505 values, and explain somewhere that it only works assuming at least 1 person on the team is maxed. Perhaps a much simpler, if much less versatile, solution. I can't imagine anyone really cares about finding the critical path if they're not maxed anyway.

There is also the issue that while critical doors will always follow that formula, I believe non-critical doors can still have xp drops in that range as well. And I suppose it is possible for monster kills or other actions to generate xp drops in that range as well. So Any time your total xp increases by 460-505 really it's just "potentially critical," if I understand right.

I made a dumb mockup of what could happen when a critical xp drop is detected, but it's pretty bad: http://imgur.com/nFiUuvP.gif
Something like a little circle in the corner that turns green is probably a much better idea though.

The more I think about it this whole thing is a pretty bad idea. But I've already typed a lot so here goes.

Last edited by Ganymede (2015-07-07 07:41:01)

#2 2015-09-11 19:43:28

The_Millardo

Re: Dungeoneering critical path indicator

Having an alert to Crit would be great for those of us whoa re still sorting that out while DGing. Far too often I find myself on the wrong path. x_x

Board footer