#1 2020-11-24 09:49:33

Fiend

Alt1 overlay doesn't stay on top

Yes, I know this has been reported before, although not very recently. I've read through many posts about this subject, and still haven't found the solution.

On my laptop, Alt1 works perfectly fine. Well, a bit slow with the bank calculator, but my laptop isn't that great at processing. So I figured, I'd try that on my desktop. The calculator works perfectly on my desktop, no issues with processing all that data. However, for some reason Alt1 won't stay on top of the RS3 Client. All the clients settings like full screen are the same for my laptop and desktop, except for slightly decreased shadow/lighting settings. I've tried messing with all sorts of settings like DPI scaling (no black bars), ticking/un-ticking pretty much every box, pin/un-pin to windows. Upgrade to newer version, re-installing.. Nothing has worked. So now every time I click on something in game, Alt1 disappears to the background. Normally, I don't have many issues with this problem. But with the bank calculator, it's kind of annoying. Sometimes I have to examine an item to make sure it recognized the item and price correctly, and because of that, the overlay disappears until I click somewhere it used to be located. It does work with a windowed screen, but I know it should be able to function on full screen as well. I also tried the windowed screen, then use Alt+3 hotkey to minimize the borders both on slim and none, but that way the edges of my screen aren't visible. Not ideal either. Hotkeys do work while the toolkit is on the background.

It will stay on the foreground of pretty much everything else. Right now I'm typing with the Alt1 Settings displayed next to me. So it should technically need to work. What else can I try at this point?

Using Alt1 Toolkit v1.5.6

Edit: As of mid december, this problem still exists.

Last edited by Fiend (2020-12-15 08:38:28)

#2 2021-02-04 13:53:56

Fiend

Re: Alt1 overlay doesn't stay on top

Update: I have changed my resolution to 1600x900, and now Alt1 will stay on top. So this purely is an issue existing within supported screen resolution. As soon as I switch back to my default screen resolution, being 1920x1080, Alt1 will no longer stay on top.

#3 2021-02-04 14:08:47

Skillbert
Administrator

There are two common problem when apps don't pin on top.

First thing to try is running Alt1 as admin, for some people this seems to fix it. It is still a little unclear to me why but i guess there is some other program interfering.

You mentioned using rs in fullscreen. The runescape client is a bit weird with fullscreen, it automatically chooses from two different modes. It either goes into what other games would call "exclusive fullscreen" or "windowed fullscreen". If rs decides to go into exclusive fullscreen it takes full control of your monitor and it simply bypasses any other programs, in this case Alt1 is not able to show anything on top. Windowed fullscreen will work fine tho. It is still a bit unclear by what criteria the rs client chooses one of these, your screen resolution may be one of them.

#4 2021-02-04 14:36:24

Fiend

Skillbert wrote:

First thing to try is running Alt1 as admin, for some people this seems to fix it. It is still a little unclear to me why but i guess there is some other program interfering.

I have tried this, this hasn't worked for me. I've changed many settings, tried re-installing, older versions, some adjustions in Register... Nothing.

Skillbert wrote:

You mentioned using rs in fullscreen. The runescape client is a bit weird with fullscreen, it automatically chooses from two different modes. It either goes into what other games would call "exclusive fullscreen" or "windowed fullscreen". If rs decides to go into exclusive fullscreen it takes full control of your monitor and it simply bypasses any other programs, in this case Alt1 is not able to show anything on top. Windowed fullscreen will work fine tho. It is still a bit unclear by what criteria the rs client chooses one of these, your screen resolution may be one of them.

Well, yes.. I use fullscreen, because the thumb nail doesn't work properly in Windowed mode, as it will only capture the toolkit itself and not my RS-client. How strange how they have decided to let the client switch between both exclusive and windowed fullscreen.
I decided to change the resolution, purely because my laptop has that resolution and I don't have these issues there.

I also noticed the options for fullscreen resolution are completely different on different set resolutions.
Monitor normally:
1920x1080
2560x1440
960x540

Monitor on laptop's res (alt1 overlay):
1600x900
2133x1200
800x450

So, I'm assuming the type of fullscreen is based on resolutions. The top row being exclusive, the bottom windowed. Unfortunately, my screen looks like crap on 1600x900, and gpu doesn't support 2133x1200. I would have to buy a new gpu that does support this resolution and a new monitor (Which is nearly impossible in this res, never seen a monitor like this. Why is this even an option in RS?) or downgrade back in size and switch back to an old 1600x900 monitor. Clearly, I'm not going to switch my setup for an app, but still.. It's weird the client works like this.

#5 2021-02-04 15:52:09

Skillbert
Administrator

Well, yes.. I use fullscreen, because the thumb nail doesn't work properly in Windowed mode, as it will only capture the toolkit itself and not my RS-client.

Not sure i follow here, what thumbnail do you mean? it sounds like maybe alt1 is trying to track some other program than your rs client. You can check this in the alt1 capture settings.

#6 2021-02-04 15:55:52

Fiend

Skillbert wrote:

Not sure i follow here, what thumbnail do you mean? it sounds like maybe alt1 is trying to track some other program than your rs client. You can check this in the alt1 capture settings.

I mean the Alt+3 option to capture a bit of your screen while afk-ing. It tracks Alt1-toolkit, because if I select for it to capture fullscreen, it will only select the toolbar. Sometimes I can get it to work somewhat using fullscreen and Alt-tabbing, but haven't really figured out how to be succesful every time.

Edit: Sometimes it does work properly, and I've tried switching between OpenGL and DirectX. On my laptop it works 100% of the time.

Last edited by Fiend (2021-02-04 16:03:52)

#7 2021-06-01 19:18:04

LordSessomaru

I don't know if there is a fix but I found a solution for at least the Clue Solver to stay on top. I installed Fullscreenizer to make RS run a fullscreen borderless windowed mode. Can now play in 1920x1080 resolution.

Board footer