#1 2016-06-06 20:37:59

meyvn

Visual DPS rotation app? (Similar to the WoW addons)

Is RuneApps capable of just capturing the screen and identifying when a specific spell is on cooldown?

Would it be possible to make an addon with RuneApps that allowed you to input a list of spells for your dps rotation and it displays the spell you currently need to cast + the next spell you're going to cast based on when one goes on cooldown?

Something like

http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/hedd

or

http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/bittens-spellflash-dk

The pseudo idea something as follows:

* Tell the app what action bar slots to watch and in what order you want. (i.e. my rotation would be slot 1, 3, 5, 4, 3, 6, 7, 4, 2, etc..)
* App allows you to select the area of your screen with the action bar allowing you to take a quick screen shot of the area so it can build a visual rotation for you.
* App displays a larger image of the current spell you need to cast, plus a smaller image of the NEXT spell in line.
* As soon as the spell in action bar slot 1 goes on cooldown (app reads when the color dims on the bar or when the cooldown countdown appears?) the next spell for you to cast shifts to the large image, etc.

I don't know the capabilities of RuneApps as far as screen capturing and things go nor what it would take to actually code this and I'm sure people would object even if it were possible... but wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people could do more dps because they had some kind of visual guide to teach them when starting out?

Last edited by meyvn (2016-06-06 20:40:14)

#2 2016-06-06 21:58:32

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: Visual DPS rotation app? (Similar to the WoW addons)

I think it would be possible, but quite a large project. I'm not sure however if this would really be helpful. It would also require a large amount of work to add these rotations for different bosses.

#3 2016-06-06 22:22:17

meyvn

Well if it would be easier to code you could always leave the rotation to be set by the user according to what they want? Not everyone may have all abilities like Corruption Shot/Blast or Tuskas Wrath so this would allow them to customize it to fit what they have. Maybe allow them to save rotation loadouts so they don't have to rebuild the visual every time they swap gear?

Maybe a Reddit strawpoll to determine if the amount of people to use it would be worth the time invested? I imagine a large number of people would use it, but I'm sure some would complain about making the game too easy or something stupid like that. But it would be very helpful to lower level players getting into bossing by helping them optimize their dps while allowing them to focus more on the mechanics of the fight instead of concentrating so much on what order to use their abilities. Hell, as a 138 getting into end game bossing like Arraxor, I would even pay for that as a premium Alt1 app.

Last edited by meyvn (2016-06-06 22:25:05)

#4 2016-08-09 05:50:06

Gren

I believe a good start for this might be to add methods to check if certain abilities or even just slots on the action bars are on cooldown, then it wouldnt be too bad for someone else to develop the rest of this. Not sure how hard it would be to detect abilities on cooldown though, especially from the different renderers etc (does NXT still have the problem where different hardware render stuff different ways? I remember in the past an issue you had was having to find the icons for runes on numerous different types of hardware for things like celtic knots)

#5 2017-04-27 16:25:22

Craig

this would be amazing

#6 2017-07-12 12:34:15

Ammon

you're making me miss my worgen hunter.
anyway, i'm not really a bosser but if i had a little visual boost like this i'd prob use it and might boss more.
I know on wow i used those exact addons back when i played it.

Board footer