#1 2019-08-25 21:05:39

clueman1212

Alt1 fails download and/or fails to operate correctly

I am running Windows 10 64bit.  On 95% of my download attempts, I am given the error message:

"Installation has failed.
There was an error while installing the application. Check the setup log for more information and contact the author."

When I check my SquirrelTemp error log, the text file gives this lengthy description: (I have taken my name out of the file paths)

2019-08-25 16:46:38> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2019-08-25 16:46:38> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2019-08-25 16:46:38> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit
2019-08-25 16:46:38> CheckForUpdateImpl: Couldn't write out staging user ID, this user probably shouldn't get beta anything: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\packages\.betaId'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.getOrCreateStagedUserId()
2019-08-25 16:46:38> CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\packages\RELEASES'.
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.<CheckForUpdate>d__2.MoveNext()
2019-08-25 16:46:38> CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2019-08-25 16:46:38> CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
2019-08-25 16:46:39> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\app-1.5.4
2019-08-25 16:46:40> IEnableLogger: Failed to install package to app dir: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\app-1.5.4\CaptureHelper64.exe' is denied.
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at SharpCompress.Readers.IReaderExtensions.WriteEntryToFile(IReader reader, String destinationFileName, ExtractionOptions options)
   at Squirrel.ReleasePackage.<>c__DisplayClass15_2.<ExtractZipForInstall>b__1()
   at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<Retry>b__0()
   at Squirrel.Utility.Retry[T](Func`1 block, Int32 retries)
   at Squirrel.Utility.Retry(Action block, Int32 retries)
   at Squirrel.ReleasePackage.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<ExtractZipForInstall>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__43`1.MoveNext()
2019-08-25 16:46:40> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\app-1.5.4\CaptureHelper64.exe' is denied.
   at SharpCompress.Readers.IReaderExtensions.WriteEntryToFile(IReader reader, String destinationFileName, ExtractionOptions options)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__2.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__10.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__4.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Alt1Toolkit\app-1.5.4\CaptureHelper64.exe' is denied.
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__2.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__10.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__4.MoveNext()<---

Sometimes, Alt1 will appear to successfully install.  Upon opening my RS NXT client, it will correctly appear in the corner of the game window and then I will try to open the clue solver.  Upon opening the clue solver, my RS client crashes, and then Alt1 disappears from my computer as if it has uninstalled itself, and I can't access the app anymore.

I'm at a loss as to what is going wrong, anyone had any similar issue or know of a potential fix?  I had 1.5.3 working fine but I saw there was a 1.5.4 version so I deleted 1.5.3 and tried to download 1.5.4, and this is when all the errors began happening.

Thanks for the help.

#2 2019-08-25 21:27:46

clueman1212

Re: Alt1 fails download and/or fails to operate correctly

Ok I actually think I found a fix to this problem -  here are the steps that worked for me.

First, I made sure the Alt1 Toolkit folder in the %AppData% folder (Windows search %AppData% then go to /local/ to find it) was deleted.
Then I deleted the SquirrelTemp folder in %AppData%
Then I had to pause all Virus protection software on my computer (I suspect the virus scanner was corrupting the download by blocking some vital files)
Restarted my computer and redownloaded Alt1
Now it works

Hope that helps anyone having a similar error

Board footer