#1 2023-03-21 09:13:13

aperson

Alt1 crashes during install trying to access start menu

I have never played runescape. I am rebuilding a PC for my son who does play.
When installing alt1 it crashes with an access denied error trying to acess a start menu folder it has no business trying to access.
C:\Programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\programming and design, which is where I put things like MySQL, Notepad++ etc.
Why would this program be trying to access that folder?

How do I get the program to install?

btw: Not fond of your captcha at sign up. I've never played runescape and never will.
What are the chances I would have any clue what city that was?
It took me ages searching to find a picture that had the map name.
Captcha is a nusiance at the best of times, but this one was just painful smile

#2 2023-03-21 10:24:25

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: Alt1 crashes during install trying to access start menu

I believe that it's part of the squirrel.windows installer, it probably has a very complicated exhausting reason for doing that. It's open source so you can check it out if you want. You'll probably get the same thing when trying to install discord, teams, spotify and skype which all use the same thing.

The captcha thing is necessary since otherwise this forums gets overrun by bots trying to get backlinks for google ranking. I tried all kinds of captcha's and other tricks but they actually employ people to solve those, it's crazy.

#3 2023-03-22 03:11:17

aperson

Re: Alt1 crashes during install trying to access start menu

Hey, as much as humans hate captcha, I understand why sites use it. Yours was just more challenging than others because I don't play the game so I had to search around for maps to try and figure it out. For regular players they'd know the city in an instant.

I don't get this error for any other software at all. With the exception of Skype, all  of the above programs are used by my sons.

The result is Alt1 doesn't install and doesn't start. 

I've been refreshing my sons Windows annually for several years now and I don't recall ever having this issue. It's normally smooth sailing.

I'm sure the source code would be like ancient Hebrew to me... Unintelligible smile

I tried granting everyone full control of the folder but that didn't help.

Board footer