#1 2023-11-03 04:21:20

A Partyhat

Alt1 not working properly

Hello, for the longest time, my alt1 would make it so it gets stuck on that "x program as stopped responding" after opening a plugin. Well, when I do this:

"I did a disk check, by doing following steps:

1. Hit Windows button in down-left corner
2. Search 'cmd' and right click => run as administrator
3. Type in 'chkdsk /f /r'   (without apostrophes)"

(from Duradel on these forums.) https://runeapps.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1198

It will work again, but after that first time it will go back to doing the same thing on any launches after the first one. I really need alt1 for clues and afkwarden. Also, it's not my drives because I've installed Alt1 and RuneScape on 3 separate hard drives and it does the same thing. So, if anyone has any permanent solutions to this problem, that would be great.

#2 2023-11-03 21:16:00

Skillbert
Administrator

Re: Alt1 not working properly

I havent seen that fix before and it's not generally something that is needed to fix Alt1. If checkdisk changes anything at all it indicates a hardware or driver issue, it doesn't fix anything that normal programs can break.

However, i have heard of and verified a similar issue myself when AVG/Avast antivirus is installed. It some times flags random files and then corrupts them without telling the user. I stopped doing AVG/Avast support on these forums though, you can contact their customer support.

#3 2023-11-12 17:15:34

A Partyhat

Skillbert wrote:

I havent seen that fix before and it's not generally something that is needed to fix Alt1. If checkdisk changes anything at all it indicates a hardware or driver issue, it doesn't fix anything that normal programs can break.

However, i have heard of and verified a similar issue myself when AVG/Avast antivirus is installed. It some times flags random files and then corrupts them without telling the user. I stopped doing AVG/Avast support on these forums though, you can contact their customer support.

Thank you for replying, but I have no anti-virus besides the default Windows Defender which is disabled. I usually don't get a crash log, but this is one that I have found:

Alt1 error report
Version: 1.6.0
OS type: 64bit
CPU features: SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE41, SSE42, AVX, AVX2, using_mm128, using_mm256
Id: 2452C3C7

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at Runeapps.Alt1.RsInstance.<>c__DisplayClass29_0.<.ctor>b__0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I'm not sure if you can make anything from this, but if you could that would be fantastic. It seems to work at random times, but I have to launch it and close it a whole bunch of times, relaunch the game, keep running the update .exe, keep running the CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe , running it as administrator, etc. Nothing I have found seems to be a permanent solution and it just seems to work whenever it wants to. I really really doubt it's a problem with my hard drives because I have tried it on multiple and it is the same exact thing. I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with how it could be using my RAM or something, I have run out of any possible ideas to try to fix this and it is beyond infuriating. This is such a great app but my gosh. I don't know what the hell is going on!

EDIT: One other thing that goes on is that if I click on my client when alt1 is up but is crashing, it will not register the clicks (like they're not even happening) until the alt1 program is disabled/crashed entirely, then it will register all of the clicks made and make them all at once. Figured I would try to give as much information as possible.

Last edited by A Partyhat (2023-11-12 17:37:44)

#4 2023-11-12 19:36:31

Skillbert
Administrator

That stack trace sadly didn't capture any useful information. However when Alt1 freezes like you describe it probably doesn't have an actual error, so i'm guessing that stack trace is unrelated.

It is normal for Atl1 to run Update.exe, and CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe, I'm not sure if you mean that those were unexpected of if the issue was that they failed to close.

In your case it might help to try a standalone version. That version can be unpacked and ran anywhere on your system. I just added 1.6.0 to that list as i noticed that it was missing.

#5 2023-11-17 11:05:28

A Partyhat

Skillbert wrote:

That stack trace sadly didn't capture any useful information. However when Alt1 freezes like you describe it probably doesn't have an actual error, so i'm guessing that stack trace is unrelated.

It is normal for Atl1 to run Update.exe, and CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe, I'm not sure if you mean that those were unexpected of if the issue was that they failed to close.

In your case it might help to try a standalone version. That version can be unpacked and ran anywhere on your system. I just added 1.6.0 to that list as i noticed that it was missing.

Thank you, the standalone version 1.5.6 seems to work every time. I don't mind doing it this way, but how would I go about installing 3rd party alt1 plugins like wilderness flash event timer? It seems to only apply to the original alt1 and not the standalone. It's like it's not finding the standalone app. I tried to look under the "Installed Apps" tab, but it doesn't seem to have an "add plugin" option directly.

#6 2023-11-17 12:34:59

Skillbert
Administrator

Go into the settings->other and (re)enable "enable alt1:// links in browser"

#7 2023-11-17 18:19:01

A Partyhat

Skillbert wrote:

Go into the settings->other and (re)enable "enable alt1:// links in browser"

Thank you. I tried this, and then this popup comes up: https://i.imgur.com/0zrblmj.png

I tried making an association with the Alt1: URL but there's no option to make a custom protocol. Since the standalone versions are .zip files, it makes it Windows doesn't really recognize it as an application. I currently have it installed in the Local section of the AppData folder.

Last edited by A Partyhat (2023-11-17 18:27:53)

#8 2023-11-17 18:43:04

Skillbert
Administrator

I just tried it with 1.6.0 standalone on windows 11 and it works to me. Make sure you extract the zip before running the program, the instructions are on the forum post.
Also, i had to uncheck and then check the "alt1://" checkbox again to make it update to the standalone version instead of the installed version.

You're generally also not supposed to save or edit files in the appdata folders, they are managed by programs that you installed and changing them can have all kinds of side effects, just unpack it on your user folder or the desktop instead.

#9 2023-11-18 01:23:42

A Partyhat

Skillbert wrote:

I just tried it with 1.6.0 standalone on windows 11 and it works to me. Make sure you extract the zip before running the program, the instructions are on the forum post.
Also, i had to uncheck and then check the "alt1://" checkbox again to make it update to the standalone version instead of the installed version.

You're generally also not supposed to save or edit files in the appdata folders, they are managed by programs that you installed and changing them can have all kinds of side effects, just unpack it on your user folder or the desktop instead.

I have deleted all instances of Alt1 and put 1.6.0 on the desktop as instructed. The alt1: protocol did successfully link, but 1.6.0 is the one that I have trouble with and immediately crashed when trying to open. I tried deleting that and doing it with 1.5.6, and the alt1: protocol did not launch on that specific version.

One thing that happens is if I try to launch the Wilderness Flash Event Alt1:// link with Alt1 closed, it will open Alt1 but will not come up with the plugin popup and allow me to apply the plugin. No matter how many times I tick/untick the "Enable alt1: link in browser" option. All it does is open Alt1.

EDIT: This is all on window 10 and yes I extract the files/folders into a folder on my desktop.

Last edited by A Partyhat (2023-11-18 01:26:00)

#10 2023-12-05 19:39:54

A Partyhat

Any update by chance?

Board footer